Search Your Topic

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anil`s American series premieres Jan 14

Mumbai: Anil Kapoor, who recently turned 50, has many a reason to be happy - his American television series "24" is set to premiere in New York Jan 14 and his presence in the series has been extended from 10 to 16 episodes.

"Initially, I was under contract for just 10 episodes. Then seeing the way my role developed, they decided to have me in 16 episodes. I must say I was as happy with the whole experience as I was with `Slumdog Millionaire`," Anil told reporters.

The versatile actor, who turned 50 Dec 24 last year, agrees 2009 has been a phenomenal year for him

"And now 2010 starts for me with the premiere of my television series `24` on January 14. I`m flying down to New York on January 12 for the premiere. In fact, all through the shooting of the series I`ve been flying in and out of India and the US." he said.

"At one point, I thought I wouldn`t be able to do Anees Bazmi`s `No Problem` because I was committed to do `24`. I even spoke to Mr. (Amitabh) Bachchan about my role. Finally, I did manage both, thanks to Anees` co-operation. But I must say doing `24` and `No Problem` side by side was quite a cultural and continental shuffle," he said.

Anil plays a Middle Eastern character in "24".

"I`m now waiting to see how audiences react to it. I`ve always believed in doing all kinds of work. Just like my friend A.R. Rahman who scores music for Shankar and Mani Ratnam, I`ve also done `Eeshwar` and `Rakhwala` side by side. I think variety is a very strong incentive for growth," he said.

Anil recalls how a lot of people advised him against doing an American television series.

"But I was also advised not to do `Slumdog Millionaire`. I took it up because my wife and kids were in favour. Can you imagine how I`d feel right now if I had turned it down? If I see 2009 as the best year of my life, it`s partly because of `Slumdog?`," said Anil.

"Then, of course, there was `Aisha` my two daughters` gift to me. Yes, that`s how I see it. It isn`t my gift to them, but their gift to me. While Sonam plays the lead, Rhea is producing `Aisha`. I`m proud of both of them."

He is now ready to take on his third international project.

"But I am very clear that I won`t play Indian characters in international projects unless they`re really special. I won`t do the stereotypical Indian characters in American films. I`ve told my agent to seek out parts that are not culture-specific but have character."

Another project with Danny Boyle after "Slumdog Millionaire" is not ruled out. "Yes, Danny has gone on record to say we`re working together and we will. At the moment I`m not signing anything new until I`m sure of what to do next."

Anil feels a strong support system at home and at work is the key to his successful journey as an actor.

"I hope my children have imbibed the values that I grew up with. I`m very proud of my three children. They are all doing well for themselves. My son Harshvardhan is enjoying his student days in the US, just like I did at his age, though not abriad like him."

No comments:

Post a Comment